Wednesday, July 04, 2018

ZZT, a love story

For all the worlds of ZZT I would ultimately explore, it took me a long time to work up the nerve to press the W key, the one labeled "World: TOWN" on the ZZT start-up screen. What could a button labeled "World" possibly do? I was scared, I think, that something fundamental about the world of ZZT would change, some physical constant of the universe rewritten, and the familiar Town of ZZT would be swept away forever. It was the same category of fear as my resistance to running past the end-of-level pipe in stage 1-2 of Super Mario Bros. to get to the secret Warp Zone. I was terrified Mario would be lost forever.
ZZT was a magical program back in the day. The author has written a book on the subject here.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?