Tuesday, May 01, 2018

Loving your enemies, more important than ever

Particularly enlightening:
Part of this stems from our tendency to think of certain foundational elements of our own belief systems as “common knowledge.” I recall, for example, a conversation in which I referred to Immanuel Kant as one of the philosophers that “everybody knows.” Someone quickly pointed out to me that this is absurd: large swathes of the human race could not tell you that Kant is a philosopher, much less identify any of his beliefs. But because I first read Kant in high-school, I naturally think of him as someone that any reasonably educated person knows.
I would say I have committed this particular sin many a time.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?