Thursday, April 04, 2013

GW students offended that Catholic chaplain is Catholic

As reported on Yahoo News (thanks to Mark Shea for the link):
Legacy told the Hatchet that he spent considerable time at the Newman Center during his first two years at George Washington. He was an altar server at mass. He believed that he would become a Catholic priest after graduating.

All that changed, though, when Legacy told Shaffer that he and Bergen had entered a homosexual relationship. Shaffer allegedly charged Legacy with being immoral and lacking in faith.

“To have my faith leader view me that way, just because of one piece of the way that God made me, and to think that one part is responsible for the destruction of my human dignity, it just didn’t…I can’t even begin to describe the mental conflict that it creates,” Legacy told the Hatchet.
Two points. The first is, the mental conflict should have started a bit earlier, since it's not like this priest just made this up. The second is, I doubt the priest said anything about his dignity. Or at least I hope the priest didn't say anything like that, as it would be quite wrong, though I guess I've seen worse in the wild. Either way, Legacy and/or Shaffer should spend a little more time reading the catechism if there's some thought that sinning destroys dignity. Mr. Shea also links to this post, The Catholic Church's 'acceptance' of gay people..., which is most excellent, on the subject of SSA, and how the Church has to be more clear that it loves everyone. After all, we all have our sins.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?