Wednesday, December 12, 2012

This blog post is exponential, I think?

Maybe I've been spending too much time in math classes working with exponents and logs, but exponential seems to have taken on a meaning beyond the definition I know that ties in with repeated multiplication, or the definition I sometimes permit of something very big or fast.
The racist representation of Arabs is so exponential, even for American television (and this is clearly the manifest effect of the Israeli Jewish identity of the show) that one does not know where to begin.

I'm guessing it means something like over the top, or maybe absurd. Hyperbolic perhaps? Whatever they're trying to say, I really don't think exponential fits well there, unless they're arguing that Homeland stereotypes Arabs by portraying them as excellent mathematicians, as opposed to the Jews who are shown as poor mathematicians.

AJ, as linked to by TMN.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?