Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Tetragrammaton Banned in Liturgy, Songs, and Prayer

But apparently not from text on the internet. Jewish readers may not want to click the above link.

This change dates back to 2008, but I was not made aware of it until I was picking out songs for my father's funeral. One of his favorite songs employed the tetragrammaton in lyrics and the organist kindly told me that it was forbidden to use such songs any more in Catholic liturgies, as decreed by the Vatican! Who knew?! But actually I welcome the change. I was always uncomfortable saying the name of God after I learned about the significance of it and had a Jewish friend patiently explain to me the serious matter of this blasphemy in some circles.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?