Sunday, August 15, 2010

Book review - A Tale of Two Cities

A most intense work of literature. This was my first time reading it.

My first impression was that the Ancien Regime and the French Revolution were much scarier places than I remembered from my history classes. Terrifying. The depiction of the Defarges was particularly powerful.

My second impression was that it was somewhat shorter than I wished, that events moved too quickly from one point to the next. Or maybe I read it too quickly. I suppose part of the reason that I preferred Bleak House was because I felt that the characters had more time to develop and become part of my mental menagerie. Here some of the characters, in particular Mr. Carton and Mr. Lorry, began that process but were unable to complete it due to the untimely end of the book.

On the other hand, I suppose the fact that I stayed up one Friday night and missed the beginning of the great Public House Beer Pong Tournament in order to read the end of the book suggests that I enjoyed it immensely.

Any suggestions for my next Dickens-like book?

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?