Sunday, June 20, 2010

New use for floppies - data transfer

I've been receiving a lot of emails lately with uses for your old floppy disks. Well, I've discovered another use of my own, and it's quite unexpected I do say. Apparently you can use them to store data and transfer it between two computers!

Here's how it works.

1. First select a sturdy floppy. Color doesn't matter. I have chosen green.

A green floppy disk

2. Locate the floppy drive. It is a small door about the same size of the disk.

A floppy drive

3. Start inserting the disk with the shiny end towards the computer.

A partially inserted floppy disk

4. Insert until the disk clicks into place. No further.

A fully inserted floppy disk

5. Open My Computer or otherwise navigate to the floppy drive in your operating system of choice.

My Computer in Windows

6. Drag file the file that you want to transfer to the floppy drive. Not too big!
Dragging file to floppy drive

7. Wait for the transfer to finish. You may wish to get a cup of coffee.
My Computer in Windows

8. Locate and push eject button. It is usually on the upper right side of the floppy. It is circled in red below.

My Computer in Windows

9. Insert the disk into another computer, using the same procedure as above.

Inserting floppy disk into another computer

10. You can now view the files on the other computer using the method of your choice.
My Computer in Windows

Congratulations, you're done! Now in only ten simple steps you can put your old floppies to good use.

Album

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?