Sunday, June 13, 2010

Like the other nations

I was reading the Declaration of Establishment of State of Israel and I came across an interesting phrase:

This right is the natural right of the Jewish people to be masters of their own fate, like all other nations, in their own sovereign State.


Which of course make me think of the passage in 1 Samuel where Israel is first established as a unified state.

But the people refused to listen to the voice of Samuel; and they said, "No! but we will have a king over us, that we also may be like all the nations, and that our king may govern us and go out before us and fight our battles."

1 Sam 8 19-20


An interesting juxtaposition! I wonder if it was intentional? I hope not, that is sort of a grim bit of 1 Samuel.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?