Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Accidental Fraud

So, I made a student loan payment online and miss-typed the account number for my bank account. I didn't realize it and the payment of $235 cleared two weeks ago, but was never subtracted from my checking account. I called the company I paid and they claim they received the money. I called my bank and they said they have no pending payments. I went online and looked up the payment and realized I miss-typed the account number. So somebody paid my bill, but not me.

I spent an hour today trying to sort this out. The student loan company insists it needs to be resolved with my bank. (I called the student loan company three times.) So I called my bank, and after 45 minutes and talking to 6 different people, including several managers, they are insisting that they don't have an account by that number and I should resolve it with the student loan company.

I don't have time for this. I'm thinking of just keeping the $235.

Shouldn't the technology be better. I mean if the account number and name don't match up, how is it I was able to make a payment. What's to stop me from paying off my entire student loan right now with this mystery account?

Something is royally screwed up. I just don't want to get in trouble for fraud and stealing money.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?