Friday, August 10, 2007

Music without copyright protection

Signaling another departure from the music industry’s longtime antipiracy strategy, the Universal Music Group will sell a significant portion of its catalog without the customary copy protection software for at least the next few months, the company announced yesterday.

Universal, the world’s biggest music conglomerate, said it would offer albums and songs without the software, known as digital rights management, through existing digital music retail services like RealNetworks and Wal-Mart, nascent services from Amazon.com and Google, and some artists’ Web sites.


Now we're getting somewhere. Fair use is kind of important to me - I like to have my music on my phone, my MP3 player, and my computer.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?