Monday, June 11, 2007

Because I can't sleep ...

I decided to pray. This is much better than me rolling around in bed with anxiety and making lists in my head of all the things I have to do.

After praying for bits and pieces between my drifting thoughts, I got to thinking about the Sister who spoke at OLPH this morning. (That's right folks, I'm back in NY.)

She was director of the Society of the Propagation of the Faith for the Archdiocese of New York. She told a very moving story about her experience visiting St. Monica's in Jamaica, a home for the sick, the elderly, and the homeless. It reminded me of my childhood desire to be a missionary. I used to want to go to exotic and far-off lands and help people build schools and get health care while preaching the gospel. I got these notions from reading the Maryknool Missioner magazines my mother subscribed to. I was either inspired, or naive, depending on how you see it. Apparently though I can't quite shake that missionary zeal, which is why I am doing pro bono work in education for the Catholic Church, going first to Oakland for a year and now to Baltimore for two years. I still hope to do some mission work abroad as a lay person in the future. After I have my master's degree perhaps I could get away for a month, a summer, or a year. Right now though there is plenty of need for good work here in our own backyard and I am content to sit back and pray for those who have the courage to go globe-trotting for Jesus.

Anyways, I came across the above link for a Rosary to pray for missionaries. It wasn't cheesy like many online Rosaries I've come across. I rather liked it and thought I would share.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?