Monday, October 16, 2006

Some aid with Scripture

I've been looking at these two bits of Exodus 33:

11 - The LORD used to speak to Moses face to face, as one man speaks to another. Moses would then return to the camp, but his young assistant, Joshua, son of Nun, would not move out of the tent.


and

18 - Then Moses said, "Do let me see your glory!" He answered, "I will make all my beauty pass before you, and in your presence I will pronounce my name, 'LORD'; I who show favors to whom I will, I who grant mercy to whom I will. But my face you cannot see, for no man sees me and still lives.


Does Moses see the Face, or not so much? Rather confusing, it seems. Looking at



I found a number of texts by the Church Fathers commenting on the glory of God and these sorts of things, but nothing taking the two passages together. The Navarre Bible seems to be silent on the subject as well in terms of useful comments, making some references to one being by P and the other being by J or E or D or some such, which really doesn't do it for me. I'd imagine that one could do a much more in depth study of what it means to see God's face as a man sees another, versus Moses' request to see God's face in all His glory. However, as I've sold out to the man, I don't have the time for such an exploration, so if anyone can suggest some sources, or perhaps tell me something I don't know about the Hebrew (hint hint) it would be much appreciated.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?