Saturday, July 01, 2006

The candidate of their choice

Justice Kennedy also deserted the conservatives in a redistricting case from Texas when he found a violation of the Voting Rights Act in the dismantling of a Congressional district that had previously had a Mexican-American majority. The action of the Republican-led Texas Legislature had deprived the Latinos of the ability to elect the candidate of their choice, Justice Kennedy said, leaving Chief Justice Roberts to complain in dissent, "It is a sordid business, this divvying us up by race."


Sure, if I got to set up a Congressional district I could get the candidate of my choice elected, whereas now I'm represented by someone I find fairly distasteful. But that doesn't mean I get my own Congressional district.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?