Saturday, June 17, 2006

How you know the nuclear reactor is British

I'm not going to bother describing some of the other aspects of our visit -- the standby diesel generators, the additional ranks of control cabinets that keep the generators running, or the methane, liquid nitrogen, hydrogen electrolysis, or other gas plants dotted around the complex. (This is already way over-long for a blog report!) I'm not even going to dwell on the more bizarre aspects of the site: the anti-rabbit defenses, the anti-truck-bomb obstacles (on the entrance only -- no self-respecting truck bomber would ever think of driving in through the exit, would they?), or the weirdly victorian-looking plumbing around the 12 metre level (where the manual last-ditch controls are available, all brass dials and hand-wheels). What I think I should end with is an explanation of the title of this piece ...


The thing is, I really do think that a British truck bomber would only use the enterance, after a round of songs about England being Jerusalem or some such with my English friend in Spain.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?