Sunday, March 05, 2006

An interesting meditation

Catholic teaching does not require the person to say grace before or after meals. Catholic tradition encourages it, but a person who eats without saying grace has not sinned.

I was wondering why there is so a strong divergence in emphasis between Judaism and Catholicism on this point. In Judaism, the blessing recited after eating bread or a meal with bread is considered to have the authority of a Biblical commandment. Some have held that the blessing recited after eating grains is also a Biblical commandment. And even though other blessings are rabbinical, eating without first saying a blessing is compared to the very serious sin of making personal and profone use of objects or property dedicated to the service of Gd.


I don't think I've ever seen anyone in my house say grace outside of Christmas and Thanksgiving. It's quite sad, I suppose, but it helps explain why I have such problems remembering to do it. Then again, most of my Jewish friends tend to not do this either, so maybe I'm not really missing out in my goyishness.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?