Monday, January 02, 2006

Now for something completely different



I've been getting more into "world" music, or more simply, music from around the world or with a fusion of various cultures. One of the best "world" bands I have thus far encountered on this musical journey has been 3 Mustaphas 3. Well after that band fell apart nothing has quite come along like them, but Sabah Habas Mustapha has done some work on his own. I got this CD for Christmas off of my Amazon.com wishlist. Don't be put off by the weird cover art. It is really one of most interesting albums I've listened to in a long time. It is a combination of West Javanese traditional music with some Western interpretations and a semi-pop feel to some of the pieces. It is so different from anything I've heard, but not so foreign as to be unpleasant or unrecognizable. It is really a beautiful album. Some songs are festive, others are groovy, some are soothing, and some are a little bizarre. I recommend it to anyone wishing to expand their music tastes.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?