Thursday, August 18, 2005

Il Papa Arrives in Deutschland

As he arrived in Germany, amid very heavy airport security, the Pope was warmly applauded by young people, who had filled several buses for the trip to greet the Pontiff. Crowds of young people had arrived earlier in the morning, pressing against barriers at the airport as they awaited the arrival of the Alitalia jet carrying the Holy Father. As the time of his scheduled flight drew closer, the chant of "Benedetto" arose repeatedly from the crowd-- composed mostly of German youths, with many Italians as well.

"With great joy I find myself, for the first time since my election to the chair of St. Peter, in my beloved homeland," Pope Benedict said. "I thank God, who has made it possible for me to begin my pastoral trips outside Italy with this visit to the land of my birth."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?