Monday, October 25, 2004

Whoa

This is more exciting than when my mother told me I didn't have to take my shoes off when I went into the house. And I was 19 when I found that out.

Dear Editor:

I was brought up with the belief that "and" should not be used to start a sentence, but I see it often. What is your position on this point of grammar?

— E.M., Warwick, R.I.

Dear E.M.:

Grammarians agree that it's acceptable to begin a sentence with "and," even though everybody admits to having been taught at some past time that the practice is wrong.

One commentator has speculated that the rule of not using "and" to begin a sentence was made to keep children from stringing together independent clauses or simple declarative sentences with "ands": "We got in the car and we went to the movie and I bought some popcorn and ... ." As children grow older and master the more sophisticated ways of connecting clauses and making complex sentences, the rule against the use of "and" is no longer needed. But apparently our teachers forgot to tell us this. Consequently, many of us go through life thinking it is wrong to begin a sentence with "and."

The only rule for "and" that definitely applies is not to overuse it as a transitional word at the beginning of sentences, which would then make the writing sound unsophisticated and even choppy. A correct use would be: "The coach told his team that they would win. And he was right."

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?