Monday, August 30, 2004

How to know you've been reading too much

I sent this out just now.
----------------------------------
Professor,

I was reading Augustine's De Trinitate and came across the name of Porphyry in a chapter introduction. The translator says, basically, that Augustine attacked Porphyry and Plotinus for thinking that the the One could be sought by unaided intellect, and that Porphyry in particular was criticized in De civitate Dei for being a fan of magical cultivation of demons by theurgy, sentence I can't quite understand.

At any rate, I got to thinking of Crime and Punishment and was wondering if you could see any connection between Porphiry's methods with regards to Raskolnikov and this ancient philosopher.

Hope the summer was excellent, and I'm still available to help out w/ the Mac if you'd like.

Sincerely,
David

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?