Thursday, July 29, 2004

From CWNews today

We have an article about the greatest problem in the church being weak priests. As Fr. Buda would say, Amen. I can blame a lot of my orthodoxy on the fact that I never saw a real liturgial abuse growing up and the parish I grew up in, though no model of evangelical activity, was God-centered. I mean, we didn't talk to each other, so I assume it was centered on God (j/k).

We also have an interesting dissection of Life Teen masses. You know, the ones where I cry because of the disrespect and liturgical abuse I didn't grow up with. This is perhaps one of the best dissections of the thing which I have seen:
What if they imparted to their flock the reality that Catholic culture has always emphasized work, worship, and celebration as proper human activities? Entertainment has always been considered at most a diversion: a small portion of life’s events, a bit of piquancy to enhance the main dish. Taken out of proportion, a fascination with entertainment can mask a tendency to boredom and even despair.

Nowadays entertainment is perceived as the goal of life, to the point that parents willingly give their children over to its pursuit. (Maybe they are caught up in the entertainment trap themselves?) In the process, they relinquish their role, which is to guide and admonish, to keep their progeny disciplined for what God may send. In most cases, what God sends is family life for our children. How well prepared to live it will they be if their only formation has been in noise and selfish alienation from others?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?