Friday, June 11, 2004

NPR says:
The story by legal affairs correspondent Nina Totenberg aired recently on NPR's "Morning Edition." She was speaking of an elderly Jewish woman whose aunt and uncle died in Europe in the years around World War II.

"Jews don't believe in an afterlife, but she says she hopes they know what has happened this week," Totenberg said.

Radio talk-show host Michael Medved, an observant Jew, was stunned at the statement.

"I almost crashed the car," he said. "First of all, this is government-funded National Public Radio. And it's an outrage. It's a slander to all believing Jews everywhere."

One one hand it's nuts. Of coure, on the other hand I've read articles from rabbis trying to explain how afterlife belief is not defined quite so much. Of course, I thought they were full of it when I was reading it so I tend to symphathize w/ person number two. Of course I probably just misunderstood everyone involved. Oy vey.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?