Saturday, May 29, 2004

Did Law get off easy?

A lot of people have been saying that Cardinal Law is getting coddled by a Vatican bueracracy who's in favor of paedophilia or something like that. But consider this.

On Thursday I received a phone call from a reporter from a secular newspaper-- a fellow who calls me now and then, looking for help in interpreting the latest Vatican moves.

This time, he was asking me to explain the appointment of Cardinal Bernard Law, formerly of Boston, as archpriest of a major Roman basilica. How, he wanted to know, could the Vatican give such a "high-profile" assignment to a prelate who had resigned amidst a scandal?

A "high-profile" assignment? I asked my friend to explain what he meant by that phrase. And then, to clinch the argument, I asked him to name the man whom Cardinal Law will replace. He couldn't, of course.


Do you ever know where to look?

Thanks to Phil Lawlor of CWNews for that one.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?