Friday, April 16, 2004

Christian Modernism and Fundamentalism

My father was a religious man in a respectable mode. When he joined me up to his golf club he gave me the classic advice passed on from father to son in such circumstances: 'Don't talk about religion or politics'. Sound advice, especially in a society which knew sectarian division and discrimination solely on a person's religion. This was a view of religion which linked it to good manners, to moderation, to being civil to each other in an establishment sort of way. This was a religion which jogged along minding its own business and turning imperceptibly into a Christian-influenced ethical system which encouraged social harmony.

The religion of my father makes such good sense, you wonder why all don't adopt it?


I started worrying when I read this. But then I read this:

I am not a fundamentalist, but I have a sympathy towards fundamentalism. I believe that we should all share that sympathy so that we can have an insight into what creates the phenomenon. My point is this: modernity is worse than fundamentalism. I would argue that the exaltation of human reason has led to a society in the grip of ceaseless and yet apparently purposeless change; we are being churned in the untameable waters of history; we are (to vary the metaphor), suffering from spiritual vertigo. From the Christian point of view, modernity involves the misery of relativistic and shallow values, based on a profound misunderstanding of who we are.

Hilare Belloc stopped rolling over in his grave for a second when this was written, I think.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?