Sunday, February 08, 2004

Word

"In the case of a film these questions are particularly crucial, because the face of a particular actor, or the background of a particular scene, can become etched in the memory, making it difficult to imagine the person or the event in any other way. So when my friends-virtually without exception-began voicing their enthusiasm for Mel Gibson's cinematic portrayal of the Passion, I began to ask: Can I be confident in Gibson's artistic judgment? My answer is No.
VISCERAL REACTIONS
My misgivings have absolutely nothing to do with the allegations that Gibson's movie is tinged by anti-Semitism. That is an old canard, raised regularly by people who would like to censor the Gospels themselves. Rather I am concerned by the reports that Gibson-whose cinematic career has featured far more than its share of celluloid blood and gore-takes pride in a graphic portrayal of our Lord's physical suffering. "

Well, Father B saw it and he said it was excellent, so I'm going to see it. But this is interesting.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?